An Iraqi woman is treated at a hospital in Irbil, Iraq, on Jan. 15, 2017, after being shot by an Islamic State sniper.
IRBIL, Iraq — Children have been tortured after being detained by Kurdish security forces here on suspicion of collaborating with the Islamic State, a Human Rights Watch report charged Sunday. The human rights group said it spoke to 19 of 183 boys aged 11 to 17 being held in a facility in this northern Iraqi city in December. It said 17 of them alleged that the security forces, called Asayish, "held them in stress positions, burned them with cigarettes, punched and kicked them, beat them with plastic pipes and cables, and shocked them with electricity."
Human Rights Watch researchers wrote that they saw visible marks on the bodies of five of the detainees. The detainees said their treatment was meant to extract confessions. Most of the alleged abuse happened before they were transferred to Irbil's Reformatory for Women and Children. "None knew the content of the confessions they confirmed with fingerprints — some were illiterate or blindfolded, and others said that they were not allowed to read them and could not have because they were written in Kurdish," the report said. All of the interviewed boys were Sunni Arabs except for one Kurd. Some of the interviewees said they had been forced to work for the Islamic State temporarily, while the others said were never in that position. Dindar Zebari, head of the Kurdish Regional Government's committee that evaluates and responds to international reports, said in a letter to Human Rights Watch that torture and extrajudicial procedures are illegal under Kurdish law. "Officers accused to be mistreating prisoners action will be taken to follow up on their misconduct in the court of law," he wrote in a Jan. 17 statement on his Twitter account.
On Thursday, an employee of the reformatory, who declined to give his name, said that only about 60 boys are being held in the facility at the moment. USA TODAY was barred access to the facility to confirm that figure.
... More
The Police have confirmed the kidnap of the Cross River State Commissioner for Water Resources, Mr Gabriel Odu-Oji. According to the State Command, Mr Odu-Oji was kidnapped by unknown gunmen in the early hours of Sunday in Calabar South Local Government Area of the state. The Deputy Commissioner of Police, Tunde Gbolarumi, confirmed the incident during a telephone interview with Channels Television. Mr Gbolarumi said the Command has blocked all exit roads, with a strict stop and search exercise of all vehicles coming in and out of Calabar, aimed at preventing the kidnappers from fleeing out of the state’s capital successfully. He noted that the Police and other security agencies will not rest in their oars in ensuring that the Commissioner, whom he said is still within Calabar according to intelligence report, is released without being hurt nor any ransom paid. The Deputy Commissioner of Police appealed to the public to avail security agencies with necessary information that would lead...
Comments
Post a Comment