Skip to main content

Oprah Winfrey on having a harassment free set

Oprah Winfrey has zero tolerance for innappropriate behavior.

On Tuesday night, at the season finale celebration of OWN's Queen Sugar in West Hollywood, California, the media mogul told reporters she keeps her sets harassment free by being very choosy about who she works with.

"We don’t want any a------- around us," she said before describing the casting process that weeds out any unsavory characters on set.

"First of all starting with all-female directors," she continued. "Ava [DuVernay] casts from the spirit of the person and looks for skill and talent. You’re casting with the very idea of surrounding yourself and when you’re looking at casting you’re looking at ‘Does this guy fit with this woman? Does this little boy fit? Could those two people have had that boy? And how do we make this family?’"

"So we’re looking at those things and not just looking at who’s gonna be the star and take the lead but looking at how does it all integrate so that it can evolve into something bigger," Winfrey said.

The 63-year-old recently opened up about her thoughtson the sexual misconduct allegations made againstHarvey Weinstein.

"I’ve been processing the accounts of Harvey Weinstein’s hideous behavior and haven’t been able to find the words to articulate the magnitude of the situation," Winfrey wrote on Facebook.

She added, "Filmmaker James Schamus captured so much of what I’ve been feeling when he said: 'This is the story of one predator and his many victims; but it is also a story about an overwhelming systemic enabling, and until that story is fully told we will fall far short of stopping future depredations on a similar scale.'"

Weinstein has been accused of sexual misconduct by over 50 women including Cara DelevingneAshley JuddGwyneth Paltrow, and Angelina Jolie since The New York Times and The New Yorker documented  decades of alleged sexual misconduct and sexual assault involving a number of women in detailed articles in October.

A spokesperson for Weinstein previously told PEOPLE in a statement, “Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein. Mr. Weinstein has further confirmed that there were never any acts of retaliation against any women for refusing his advances.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help Stop An Execution

Nearly two years ago, the eyes of the world were on Oklahoma, where a man named Richard Glossip was facing execution for a 1997 murder many people say he was not involved in. I learned about Richard’s case when actress Susan Sarandon contacted me, expressing deep concern that the State of Oklahoma was just about to kill an innocent man. After reviewing the facts, I too became convinced of Richard’s innocence, and we decided to  make a public plea for the governor to gra nt freedom On 30 September 2015, Richard came within minutes of execution by lethal injection, when officials suddenly stopped the proceedings. As it turned out, the state of Oklahoma had procured the wrong execution drug, risking another botched execution that would lead to a slow and painful death. At the last minute, Governor Mary Fallin, not exactly an opponent of the death penalty, issued a stay of Richard’s execution. Today, Richard’s situation is nowhere near being resolved. As the st...

South Korean President Park Geun-hye arrested

Former South Korean President Park Geun-hye , who was removed from office earlier this month, was arrested on Friday. "Major crimes have been ascertained and there is a concern that the suspect might attempt to destroy evidence," Judge Kang Bu-young said in a text message to reporters. "The court recognizes the need, necessity and reasonableness of the suspect's arrest." Prosecutors announced Monday that they were seeking to arrest Park on charges relating to abuse of power, accepting bribes and leaking important information. "The suspect abused the mighty power and position as President to take bribes from companies and infringed upon the freedom of corporate management and leaked important confidential official information," the statement from the Seoul Central District Prosecutor's Office said. Park had been held in a temporary detention facility at the Seoul Central District Prosecutor's Office Building ahead of the court's decision. S...

Amancio Ortega Becomes The Richest Person In The World

The Spanish business tycoon, Amancio Ortega, co-founder of Spanish retailing giant Inditex, is now the richest person in the world with a cool $200 million edge over previous richest person Bill Gates. Ortega became the world richest person first in 2015 October but he lost the spot to Gates in less than 24 hrs, and he has also held the position two other times but has always been relinquished the lead within a day. This period around he surpassed Gates on Tuesday after shares of Inditex - parent company of fashion chain Zara rose just over 1% but by the end of the afternoon he was $100 million dollars behind the microsoft cofounder. Then on Wednesday Ortega regained the top spot as of 12:05pm Eastern time, he was richer than Gates by a modest margin of $200 million. Ortega is now worth an estimated $85billion. Gates fortune declined earlier this month after a filing with the SEC revealed that he donated $4.6billion worth of microsoft stock to his foundation in June. Bloomberg reported...